1. jelas vs. jernih
Does jelas (clear) refer to more abstract things while jernih (clear) refer to physical property?
Jelas = clear in terms of vision and understanding
A. Ayat dalam karangan cikgu saya (tidak) jelas.
Jernih = clarity in terms of liquid forms
B. Air sungai itu sangat jernih (the river (water) is clear)
2. If i use ‘beberapa’ for anything, i should still use the classifers?
Yes, e.g. Beberapa orang pelajar sekolah sudah tiba di kampus ini.
3. ‘ada sekali’ = one time? so i can say: ‘Ada sekali saya jatuh sakit kerena tidak mandi’
Yes but kerena is a typo…in a setence that means Once I fell sick because of not bathing.
4. if we write sendiri instead of seorang diri during exams, is it wrong?
Sendiri (own or by myself) vs. Seorang diri (alone)
Saya membuat kerja sendiri di bilik tidur : I do my own work in the bedroom
Saya masak sendiri kerana tidak ada pembantu rumah: I cook by myself because there is no domestic helper.
Jangan bercakap seorang diri: Do not speak alone
Kalau tidak mahu makan seorang diri datanglah ke rumah saya.
If you do not want to eat alone, please come to my house.
5. when can ada be used as ‘is’, because in Lecture 7, slide 3 on dalam, the first eg given is your love is in my heart. The ‘is’ is translated to ada so I am kind of confused because I thought ada means has/have.
The example in question is, Cinta saya ada dalam hati: My love is in my heart, which means I do not express the love verbally and ada is ‘contained within’ hence the love is in the heart
Ada is indeed has/have but it may be contextualized to is and are hence not to be restricted to one meaning, e.g.
Dia ada di rumah > He or She is in the house, ada cannot be translated as has or have in the example.
Ibu ada di dapur apabila kucing kami dicuri: Mother was in the kitchen when our cat was stolen.
7. How do i know where to put the -nya? abit confused over that.
if it’s like her short black hair, in the blog you said: ‘rambut hitamnya pendek’ , can it be ‘rambutnya hitam pendek’ ?
Nya = his or her Rambut hitamnya pendek = Her black hair is short. Rambutnya hitam dan pendek = Her hair is black and short Both examples of -nya refer to different kinds of description.
8. “Bertari” dan “bernyanyi” vs. “menari” dan “menyanyi”. Yang mana betul yang mana salah?
Bertari dan bernyanyi = intransitive vs. menari dan menyanyi = transitif
Saya bertari di disko vs. Saya menari tarian Melayu Saya bernyanyi di padang vs. Saya menyanyi lagu Chan Mali Chan.